Intel reveals special edition Core i7-8086K that reaches 5GHz out-of-the-box at COMPUTEX
COMPUTEX is still ongoing in Taipei and we’re now with Intel and their countdown to their 50th anniversary as a company on July 18. Aside from this milestone, the company is also celebrating the 40 years of their 8086 processor, which is considered the godfather of modern x86 computing.
With that said, Intel has announced a special edition chip, previously rumored and also reported by us, aptly named Core i7-8086K, the processor is the first to sport a turbo clock of 5GHz out-of-the-box, while featuring a nominal base clock speed of 4GHz, and is compatible for the LGA 1151 socket.
Mind you, this is the first-ever CPU to reach 5GHz out-of-the-box without any overclocking done. However, if you’re a true enthusiast, you’ll never stay in stock speeds right? Anyways, this CPU is also unlocked, and we’ll just have to see later on until what clock speed would this CPU reach.
Intel also announced some new mobile chips, named “Amber Lake” Y-series and “Whiskey Lake” U-series, which the company claimed can deliver up to double digit improvements over the previous generations. The company also hinted that there will be a new X-series and next-gen S-series chips coming to desktops this year, however, there aren’t any details about them yet as of this writing.
And if you’re lucky enough, Intel will also hold a sweepstakes to give away 8,086 chips. The limited edition Core i7-8086K will go on sale in June 7, which is the 40th anniversary of the original Intel 8086 processor’s launch. No information yet about the exact pricing but initial listings has it for ~$486, significantly more expensive than the current Core i7’s.
Don’t miss the latest news from COMPUTEX 2018! Follow our coverage on SnowTechStuff.com on our website and social media channels:
The Most Interesting
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz Kit Review
- The Galaxy Note 9 is so interesting……. and expensive?
- NOTEWorthy: The Galaxy Note 9 is now official – price and specs here
- Xiaomi to open first Mi authorized store in Davao
- Honor Play is probably the best mid-range smartphone out there to date – here’s what you need to know
- ViewSonic outs ultra-portable projector with dual Harman Kardon speakers and 6 hours of battery life
- LG Q8 (2018) launches in South Korea with Snapdragon 450 and built-in stylus
- Samsung Galaxy J8 In-Depth Review – should you get one?
- AMD announces 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper chips: prices and specs here
- Android 9.0 Pie is now official – here’s what you can expect