Report: Apple KILLED iCloud Activation Lock!
Apple has closed its iCloud activation lock check with a possible reason to prevent a bypass method that allowed stolen devices to be reactivated at the expense of legitimate devices.
The iCloud Activation Lock occurs when an iOS device undergoes user factory reset and re-activated when it is stolen or registered to the previous owner, a popular iOS security measure that renders these devices unusable unless the registered owner’s Apple ID and password are entered. This lock is also known as the iCloud issue – a term you will hear when buying used iOS devices.
This popular feature of iOS is being shuttered down without formal explanation from Apple. However, the speculations leads to probably the Apple’s response to a reckless activation lock workaround method reported by MacRumors that allowed users to modify hardware chips for stolen activation-restricted Apple devices.
An example of the hack that they call the “Activation Lock scheme” is below:
The hack pinches a legitimate serial number from Apple users and applies it to the modified chip, allowing the activation process to continue. However, the hack resulted to some legitimate users being locked on their devices because their serial numbers are attached to someone else’s Apple ID.
It is not clear if the tampering method is behind Apple’s closure of the activation lock feature, but user reports have surfaced recently that legitimate iPhones and iPads have been inexplicably activation locked to other users’ accounts.
Lastly, to those who buy second-hand or used iOS devices, this removal doesn’t make your lives easier. Instead, it makes your lives harder because iCloud lock is still there, unless you do the hack. And to those who sells stolen devices, you are not lucky either.
However, buyers wishing to check the activation lock status of second-hand Apple devices can still do so provided they have physical access to the units through this link HERE.
We’re still waiting for Apple’s formal explanation about the shut down of their great anti-theft feature.
The Most Interesting
- Samsung launches Galaxy Watch and 2 new tablets in the Philippines
- HOW TO UNBLOCK BLOCKED PORN/WEB SITES 2018? – THE ULTIMATE GUIDE
- ViewSonic Launches VX58 Curve Series Monitors
- Why PayPal Wins Against Apple in P2P Payments Service
- 5 Ways That You Can Help To Improve the Environment
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz Kit Review
- The Galaxy Note 9 is so interesting……. and expensive?
- NOTEWorthy: The Galaxy Note 9 is now official – price and specs here
- Xiaomi to open first Mi authorized store in Davao
- Honor Play is probably the best mid-range smartphone out there to date – here’s what you need to know