VAIO makes a comeback at COMPUTEX 2018 with new laptops [Updated]
Most of us are probably familiar with the VAIO laptop brand, which is actually from Sony. The laptop series is familiar and favorable for most business users, beside HP, Lenovo‘s ThinkPad and Dell. But what exactly just happened to Sony’s VAIO branding?
In 2014, Sony sold its computer business VAIO to a Japanese industrial partner company. Although it was fortunate enough to fall into the hands of foreign companies, the number of new products dropped sharply thereafter, and it was limited to Japan, the United States, and some markets. Sony has announced the formal suspension of sales of VAIO products in 2014.
However, in a press conference held today at Taipei, just before the official opening of COMPUTEX 2018 tomorrow, VAIO announces the return of the brand to the Asian market, where it once merely dominated.
On the press conference, VAIO has announced a few laptops equipped with Intel‘s latest processor. The S Series laptops – S11, will come in sweet color offerings (Black, Pink, Brown, White, and Silver), while the S13 will come only in Black & White colors, and is targeted for Asian markets such as Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Singapore, and Taiwan.
The S11 has an 11.3-inch Full HD IPS display while the S13 has a 13-inch Full HD IPS display. Both models will also have 4GB to 16GB LPDDR3 for memory option, and 128GB to 512GB SSD for storage. Both will come with either 8th-gen Core i5 and Core i7 processors and Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro operating systems.
It’s interesting to see that the ports still include the necessities, although its nice to see a USB-C port there (sadly, there aren’t any) – 1x LAN, 1x SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with charge, 2x SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, 1x SD card slot, as well as separate headphone and microphone jacks.
VAIO and Nexstgo, its Hong kong-based partner company, will jointly set up booths in the exhibition area and expect to display the latest products for Asia during COMPUTEX 2018 held from June 5th to June 9th.
Pricing and Availability
While there’s no information yet about pricing, we know something already about its availability. The new S Series laptops will be available in Hong Kong and Taiwan by the mid-July, and August in Singapore & Malaysia. Other markets availability are still unknown.
Don’t miss the latest news from COMPUTEX 2018! Follow our coverage on SnowTechStuff.com on our website and social media channels:
The Most Interesting
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz Kit Review
- The Galaxy Note 9 is so interesting……. and expensive?
- NOTEWorthy: The Galaxy Note 9 is now official – price and specs here
- Xiaomi to open first Mi authorized store in Davao
- Honor Play is probably the best mid-range smartphone out there to date – here’s what you need to know
- ViewSonic outs ultra-portable projector with dual Harman Kardon speakers and 6 hours of battery life
- LG Q8 (2018) launches in South Korea with Snapdragon 450 and built-in stylus
- Samsung Galaxy J8 In-Depth Review – should you get one?
- AMD announces 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper chips: prices and specs here
- Android 9.0 Pie is now official – here’s what you can expect