Xiaomi launches their first Android One smartphone, with a twist
At an event today in India, Xiaomi has announced their new Mi A1. The Mi A1 will be the first Xiaomi smartphone to feature stock Android OS in association with Google’s Android One program. The Chinese company has also confirmed that the device will receive Android 8.0 Oreo update before the end of 2017 and will be in line to receive to Android P update next year, still inline with Google’s Android One program.
Design, Features and Specifications
The Mi A1 has a 5.5-inch Full HD (1920x1080px) display equipped with Corning Gorilla Glass on top for protection along with a metal unibody build. It sports a 3,080mAh battery and supports fast charging through the USB Type-C port (the first Android One to have it).
It also runs pure Android 7.1.2 Nougat OS out of the box. But, even though the phone promises a full stock Android OS, Xiaomi retained just a few apps, such as the default Mi camera app since the Google app doesn’t support dual-camera functions right now.
The said phone is also equipped with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 chipset, 1.4GHz octa-core processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB of onboard storage which is expandable via microSD card. Graphics processing is served by the Adreno 505 GPU.
Optics and dual camera
For camera, the smartphone features a 12MP dual-camera setup with 1.25-micron pixel size. The primary one is equipped with a telephoto lens and the secondary camera has a wide-angle lens. The telephoto lens allows the user to take bokeh effect shots with blurred background and a 2X optical lossless zoom. For landscape shots, Xiaomi has introduced a wide angle lens while on the front is a merely decent 5MP camera.
Xiaomi also claims that the pyrolytic graphite sheet will help in heat management as well. The Mi A1 also has an IR blaster to control appliances in your home or office. The fingerprint sensor sits at the back of the device below the camera and it seems that its placement is in good place. Xiaomi has also included a dedicated headphone amplifier for better music listening experience.
Pricing and Availability
The phone will be available in Black, Gold and Rose Gold colour variants and will come with a price of Rs 14,999 (~PhP12k) for the 4GB RAM and 64GB onboard storage. It will be available on Flipkart, mi.com, Mi Home stores and offline partner stores. The smartphone will go on sale from September 12 at noon time, online and offline.
However, Philippines wasn’t included in the initial list of markets where the phone will be available. This might be caused by the weak sales Xiaomi has faced in the country leading them to pull out.
But, we will update you in case they change their minds.
The Most Interesting
- 5 Ways That You Can Help To Improve the Environment
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz Kit Review
- The Galaxy Note 9 is so interesting……. and expensive?
- NOTEWorthy: The Galaxy Note 9 is now official – price and specs here
- Xiaomi to open first Mi authorized store in Davao
- Honor Play is probably the best mid-range smartphone out there to date – here’s what you need to know
- ViewSonic outs ultra-portable projector with dual Harman Kardon speakers and 6 hours of battery life
- LG Q8 (2018) launches in South Korea with Snapdragon 450 and built-in stylus
- Samsung Galaxy J8 In-Depth Review – should you get one?
- AMD announces 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper chips: prices and specs here